Getting ready for my momcation at the end of this week has been a gradual process. I’ve been preparing my son, my husband, my dogs – and my suitcase, little by little. As the day approaches to leave for my cruise, I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t anxious about being away from my family for an entire week.
BUT, I know I’ll be a better mom because of it. After all, I firmly believe that self-care is one of our most important jobs as moms. And I’m really looking forward to several things on this trip: quality time with my mom and aunts (while I’m NOT chasing a toddler), sunny relaxation, eating uninterrupted meals, and workouts with an ocean view.
To be honest, I’m not exactly sure if I know how to relax anymore, so this will be interesting.
As I’m slowly packing, I wanted to let you in on my must-have essentials to survive a week without momming. Here’s a snippet of what I’m taking with me to the airport this weekend:
- A good book – I usually stick to personal development books, but I’m getting wild and picked up a novel this time! I can’t wait to read We All Love the Beautiful Girls by Joanne Proulx. Can’t wait to toss this in my new carry on backpack from Target!
- Something to doodle – Disclaimer: I am artistically challenged. But, I’m going to try and tap into my inner artist with Calligraphy Made Easy by Ashley Gardner. Wish me luck, and promise not to laugh, mkay?
For taking care of my skin
- Morning skincare routine – I’m a big fan of the Meijer brand face cleansing wipes because they’re effective, especially for a quick fresh face first thing in the morning. And they’re more affordable than many name brand wipes. After a fresh face, I love applying a moisturizer with sunscreen – and Burt’s Bees Renewal Day Lotion with SPF 30 has been my favorite recently.
- Evening skincare routine – I don’t know what I’d do without my Clarisonic. I’ve used this deep cleaning accessory for years now, and it does an amazing job of getting all the daily oil and makeup off my face. Well worth the price. And my go-to face wash is Neutrogena Naturals because it’s free of all the junk – like parabens and sulfates. Before bed, I’ve been absolutely loving Burt’s Bees Night Cream with Royal Jelly.
For workouts with a view
- Morning sweat sessions – Gotta have my Powerbeats wireless headphones to crank my tunes. My favorite workout on a cruise is on the small “track” on the top deck – I love running laps and adding in some cardio/body weight resistance training, too. There’s no better workout than one surrounded by nothing but ocean. I use a simple armband from Amazon to keep my phone – and room key in one place.
- Best running shoes – I’ve worn the same brand of running shoes since my high school cross country/track days: Mizunos. I love them because when I get a new pair, I NEVER have to break them in with the discomfort of other running shoes – with painful things like blisters. Everyone’s feet are different, but Mizuno Wave Riders have been my go-to for years!
For evenings at sea
- Mascara love – My absolute favorite mascara is L’Oreal Paris’ Voluminous Butterfly Sculpt. The short wand makes my lashes look so much longer, without clumping.
- Fave dry shampoo – You guys know I’m not a fan of washing my hair, so you better believe I won’t leave for vacation without dry shampoo! My current favorite is Hask’s Monoi Coconut.
- Wardrobe necessities – I’ve learned my lesson with packing: there’s no way to eliminate wrinkles during travel. So, this time, I’m bringing along my trusty wardrobe sidekick: Downy wrinkle releaser. Love this stuff! Can’t wait to rock some of my favorite dresses from Pink Blush and Sweet Olive & Company Boutique for dinners on board the ship.
Now your turn: If you could go on a momcation tomorrow, what essentials would be on your list? Gimme your top 3 below! And don’t forget to subscribe to my email list for a little vacation-inspired treat for your inbox at the end of this week.